#1 LeftAnswer

LeftAnswer

Heir to the New Moon

• Webmaster
  • 2,618 posts
  • BattleTag:LeftAnswer#1579
  • Gamertag:LeftAnswer

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:54 AM

As I am sure a few of you have noticed, DiabloRealm was under maintenance for the last couple of days. During this maintenance, we moved to a new web host. The new host has a much better reputation than our previous one, so the site should do well here.

As of (04/14/2011), both the diablorealm.net and realmgaming.net domain names have been transferred and pointed to the new server and should work for most users although some may still be directed to the old server. For those users, a day or two should solve that problem.

As with any move of the site, some things may break. If you find anything that doesn't appear to work on the site, please notify me so it can be fixed.

I would also like to take this time to announce that Cheddar420 has been recently promoted to a Moderator. He has been doing a great job lately with reporting spam and has proven himself to be a good team member!
Posted Image

#2 killen4fun

killen4fun

The #1 Canadian

• Wiki Editors
  • 3,726 posts
  • BattleTag:Killen4fun#1120
  • D2 Realm:US East Ladder

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:05 AM

Wewt Site improvements always welcomed :)

Nice seeing you Lefty :D
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Elfangor

Elfangor

The Eraser

• Moderators
  • 6,478 posts
  • BattleTag:RShackleford
  • WoW Server:Sargeras
  • WoW Faction:Horde

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:37 AM

Welcome back to the cookie lounge, ched!

Diablorealm- once everyone is a moderator, no one will be.

Yeah its an Incredibles joke. Big whoop, wanna fight about it?

Stevo says: it was teh black
Skip says: black like my soul
Stevo says: like your rancid heart

#4 cheddar420

cheddar420

Aristocrat

• Moderators
  • 2,654 posts
  • D2 Realm:US East

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:34 PM

View PostLeftAnswer, on Apr 14 2011, 01:54 AM, said:

I would also like to take this time to announce that Cheddar420 has been recently promoted to a Moderator. He has been doing a great job lately with reporting spam and has proven himself to be a good team member!

Ty ty. Not sure if anyone has noticed, or cared lol, but I haven't been on in the last couple of days. I am not leaving the site again. This temp absence is against my will. Late March windows sent an automatic update that should have resolved my video cards issues with fan speeds (not that I agree it ever had any issue). That update fried my card, but I didn't know it at the time. During some trouble shooting I noticed some bulging capacitors on my power supply that I believed could have caused the issue. Being me, when I built my computer I didn't pick a mother board with onboard video so I had to rip the video card out of my sons computer. Testing with that card proved my theory about my psu causing the issue wrong, thankfully. So I ordered another video card. Noone had my 8800gts in stock so I got a gt260 (i think thats what it is). Two days of having that video card in my system the bulging caps finally killed my power supply.

I have some caps that, while not exactly what I need, should do the trick once I stick them into the circuit in parallel. I won't be able to close my power supply up but meh, as long as it works. Hopefully the minor change in microfarads wont be enough to cause major timing issues. I can't get a straight answer from abs labs regarding the tolerance's for these specific caps so I have no idea until I power it up. If they work my computer will be back online by tomorrow after I get home from work. If they don't work I have to either continue looking for these specialty caps or buy another 1100w power supply...damn me for having to have a power hungry video card and multiple drives. I may just take out a couple drives so I can run with a 750w psu. Wish me luck lol.

View PostElfangor, on Apr 14 2011, 04:37 AM, said:

Ty. Ty. It's been awhile since I was able to call myself a moderator here and I promise not to abuse my powers to much :tongue: jk
If you didn't read the whole post then don't bother responding.

TL;DR Don't bother responding.

#5 LeftAnswer

LeftAnswer

Heir to the New Moon

• Webmaster
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:46 PM

View Postcheddar420, on Apr 13 2011, 02:34 PM, said:

View PostLeftAnswer, on Apr 14 2011, 01:54 AM, said:

Ty ty. Not sure if anyone has noticed, or cared lol, but I haven't been on in the last couple of days. I am not leaving the site again. This temp absence is against my will. Late March windows sent an automatic update that should have resolved my video cards issues with fan speeds (not that I agree it ever had any issue). That update fried my card, but I didn't know it at the time. During some trouble shooting I noticed some bulging capacitors on my power supply that I believed could have caused the issue. Being me, when I built my computer I didn't pick a mother board with onboard video so I had to rip the video card out of my sons computer. Testing with that card proved my theory about my psu causing the issue wrong, thankfully. So I ordered another video card. Noone had my 8800gts in stock so I got a gt260 (i think thats what it is). Two days of having that video card in my system the bulging caps finally killed my power supply.

I have some caps that, while not exactly what I need, should do the trick once I stick them into the circuit in parallel. I won't be able to close my power supply up but meh, as long as it works. Hopefully the minor change in microfarads wont be enough to cause major timing issues. I can't get a straight answer from abs labs regarding the tolerance's for these specific caps so I have no idea until I power it up. If they work my computer will be back online by tomorrow after I get home from work. If they don't work I have to either continue looking for these specialty caps or buy another 1100w power supply...damn me for having to have a power hungry power supply and multiple hard drives. I may just take out a couple hard drives so I can run with a 750w psu. Wish me luck lol.

View PostElfangor, on Apr 14 2011, 04:37 AM, said:

Ty. Ty. It's been awhile since I was able to call myself a moderator here and I promise not to abuse my rights to much :tongue: jk

Well, you didn't miss much... the site was down for the last couple of days during the transfer. As for your problem, how many hard drives are you running and what are your pc specs? I just upgraded from my 8800gts 512MB to an ATI 6950 (to run 4 monitors) and my pc ran fine with a 500 watt PSU. (although I just upgraded to a better quality 650 watt one so I can flash it to a 6970 as well as to have a more efficient psu)
Posted Image

#6 cheddar420

cheddar420

Aristocrat

• Moderators
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:56 PM

an 8800gts 512mb, q6600, lately just 3 hard drives (at one point I had 6 in it though), 1 cdrom, 1 dvd rom, and a burner all run off of a 780i mobo. The only real reason I got the 1100w psu was so that I could scale up without cause for worry. I never wanted to have to buy another psu. The only thing I expected to change this soon (bout 5 years since I built it) was the memory and cpu. When I built the system it was strictly a bare bones gaming monster that was future proof. Now it handles gaming, my 3d hobby and some video editing...and its no longer future proof without my psu lol. I dont think I need the power I had, but I'd like to have it in case I ever needed it.

edit- I actually just checked it out, the gt260 will run with at least a 600w supply with 36A on the 12v rail, some ppl are suggesting 60a to be safe...I didn't even know psu's were capable of providing that many amps on one rail. This was all from just one forum though, I haven't had a lot of time to research the card. I knew I'd be able to run it, it was equivalent to my dead video card and it was cheap so I bought it lol

#7 MattNo5ss

MattNo5ss

• Moderators
  • 947 posts
  • BattleTag:MattNo5ss#1850

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:11 PM

I was wondering what was goin on. I just started playing D2 again a few weeks ago, and I couldn't reference my guides...lol.

I'm glad to see the site hasn't been forgotten and progress is being made.

View Postcheddar420, on Apr 13 2011, 04:56 PM, said:

an 8800gts 512mb, q6600, lately just 3 hard drives (at one point I had 6 in it though), 1 cdrom, 1 dvd rom, and a burner all run off of a 780i mobo. The only real reason I got the 1100w psu was so that I could scale up without cause for worry. I never wanted to have to buy another psu. The only thing I expected to change this soon (bout 5 years since I built it) was the memory and cpu. When I built the system it was strictly a bare bones gaming monster that was future proof. Now it handles gaming, my 3d hobby and some video editing...and its no longer future proof without my psu lol. I dont think I need the power I had, but I'd like to have it in case I ever needed it.

edit- I actually just checked it out, the gt260 will run with at least a 600w supply with 36A on the 12v rail, some ppl are suggesting 60a to be safe...I didn't even know psu's were capable of providing that many amps on one rail. This was all from just one forum though, I haven't had a lot of time to research the card. I knew I'd be able to run it, it was equivalent to my dead video card and it was cheap so I bought it lol

Your system would run fine at stock on a quality 400W PSU (SeaSonic, Corsair, Silverstone, Antec). The GTX260 has a TDP of ~190W and CPU's TDP is ~130W. HDDs and ODDs hardly use any power. If you are overclocking that the CPU and GPU, I would go with a quality 600W+ PSU. LGA775 isn't future proof, so no need to waste time trying to future proof that platform.

Since D2 died down, I've been spending a lot of time over at OCForums. It's a great PC enthusiast forum with tons of helpful members. Feel free to hit me up there too (my profile).

#8 cheddar420

cheddar420

Aristocrat

• Moderators
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:41 PM

View PostMattNo5ss, on Apr 14 2011, 09:11 AM, said:

LGA775 isn't future proof, so no need to waste time trying to future proof that platform.
That's highly debatable. It depends on what you consider future proof. The socket may be EOL, but that's not really an issue for me anymore. If I were still into making computers, I'd have upgraded this 780i long ago as Nvida and Intel both lost my vote for being "go to vendors" shortly after building this computer. I never owned 1 build for longer than 1 year prior to this build. It's been sometime, though, since building computers for resale was profitable for me and so I doubt I'd ever consider building anothe,r and selling this one (especially considering this build is pushing 5 years old), unless another kick ass game comes out and I can'tt play it on this system even after adding another card/more ram.

Even if I never upgrade anything, and just replace what's in it when it dies with the exact same equipment, I have no doubts that I'll continue to chew up and spit out anything that comes out in the next 5-10 years....maybe even longer. It takes alot to cause this system to chug, as far as 3d/video editing applications go, and the slowdown has always been because of the 4gigs of ram. I've yet to play a game that drops me below 30fps @ 1900*1200 with med-high settings. 10-15 years expected life span for a computer build with no serious updgrades? That, to me, is what future proof is all about. Coming from where you're coming from, or at least where I'd relate to you/assume you're coming from...there is no such thing as future proof ;)

The problem isn't with the hardware, its with the software...it just hasn't kept pace and as such there really, in my opinion, is no need for anything more. There comes a point in every mans life when he realizes that the size of his tool doesn't really matter so long as it fits the application and he knows what to do with it ;)

#9 LeftAnswer

LeftAnswer

Heir to the New Moon

• Webmaster
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:27 PM

That sounds almost identical to my rig... as for a psu...I got a 650 watt xfx (rebranded seasonic, like corsair) for about $55 after a $30 MIR. It's modular and has a single rail design (52amps).
As for your graphics card, the gtx260 is actually a step up from your 8800GTS (assuming you had the 512MB version, if you had the 320MB or the 640MB, then it's two steps up). The GTS250 would have been about the same as your old 8800GTS (assuming 512MB). Interestingly, I just got an email from Newegg with a deal for an XFX GTS250 and the XFX 650 watt PSU for $88 after MIR.

To be on topic, I was wondering what your impressions of the new server are so far, as far as page loading times. Any of you experiencing slow page loading times? Any of you notice the page loading times to be significantly faster?
Posted Image

#10 Aero

Aero

Cleric

• Wiki Editors
  • 871 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:19 PM

.....we were under maintenance?!?
Posted Image

#11 LeftAnswer

LeftAnswer

Heir to the New Moon

• Webmaster
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:30 PM

View PostAero, on Apr 13 2011, 07:19 PM, said:

.....we were under maintenance?!?

Yes, for over 2 days you could not view the site.........
Posted Image

#12 Elfangor

Elfangor

The Eraser

• Moderators
  • 6,478 posts
  • BattleTag:RShackleford
  • WoW Server:Sargeras

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:01 AM

Faster load times on my phone for sure! I'll let you know if browser is any better after work today.

Stevo says: it was teh black
Skip says: black like my soul
Stevo says: like your rancid heart

#13 cow-sniperz

cow-sniperz

Grand Sage

• Wiki Editors
  • 1,195 posts
  • BattleTag:cowsniperz#1693

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:07 PM

Aero and I are the only non-mods left!

I just tested on my phone. Loads fast.

I love everyone
Posted Image

#14 cheddar420

cheddar420

Aristocrat

• Moderators
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:22 PM

"lefty" said:

As for your graphics card, the gtx260 is actually a step up from your 8800GTS

Shhh. Keep that step up to yourself. When I said equivalent I meant no worse than...guess I should pick my words more carefully so I wouldn't have to explain myself like this and with mattno5ss and "future proof". I was actually considering stepping down to an 8800gt...the horror. My wife thinks that because I spent less than what the 8800gts cost me that I'm actually making a sacrifice. She doesn't understand that pc prices drop dependant on the age of the tech lol...thankfully. I get brownie points and her "blessing" in buying a better card.

I can't comment on load times as I'm surfing from connections I normally dont use. I just purchased a corsair 850TX that should be arriving within the next 3 days though, so once I'm back on my network I'll let you know. The caps would have brought my power supply back to life had it not been for shorted diodes as well...grrr. I wish I had checked here prior to making my purchase as I would have asked frect or a link to the deal you mention. Even after the mail in rebate and my discount with tigerdirect (shudder cringe) Im just above $90 for just the psu...on the upside it will be a kick ass psu.

#15 LeftAnswer

LeftAnswer

Heir to the New Moon

• Webmaster
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:39 PM

I updated the news post because the realmgaming.net url has been transferred to the new server and redirected to the diablorealm.net url.

View Postcheddar420, on Apr 14 2011, 05:22 PM, said:

"lefty" said:

As for your graphics card, the gtx260 is actually a step up from your 8800GTS

Shhh. Keep that step up to yourself. When I said equivalent I meant no worse than...guess I should pick my words more carefully so I wouldn't have to explain myself like this and with mattno5ss and "future proof". I was actually considering stepping down to an 8800gt...the horror. My wife thinks that because I spent less than what the 8800gts cost me that I'm actually making a sacrifice. She doesn't understand that pc prices drop dependant on the age of the tech lol...thankfully. I get brownie points and her "blessing" in buying a better card.

I can't comment on load times as I'm surfing from connections I normally dont use. I just purchased a corsair 850TX that should be arriving within the next 3 days though, so once I'm back on my network I'll let you know. The caps would have brought my power supply back to life had it not been for shorted diodes as well...grrr. I wish I had checked here prior to making my purchase as I would have asked frect or a link to the deal you mention. Even after the mail in rebate and my discount with tigerdirect (shudder cringe) Im just above $90 for just the psu...on the upside it will be a kick ass psu.

I'm glad you went with a new PSU... maybe its because I am not experienced enough, but the thought of replacing capacitors just makes me worry about the rest of the components in your computer...

Anyways, good luck with the new PSU... I hope you get your rig up and running soon...
Posted Image

#16 killen4fun

killen4fun

The #1 Canadian

• Wiki Editors
  • 3,726 posts
  • BattleTag:Killen4fun#1120

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:27 PM

View Postcow-sniperz, on Apr 14 2011, 05:07 PM, said:

Aero and I are the only non-mods left!

I just tested on my phone. Loads fast.

I love everyone

How dare you forget about me?

As for load times, they definitely feel faster to me.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 LeftAnswer

LeftAnswer

Heir to the New Moon

• Webmaster
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:10 PM

I am glad to hear that the load times generally feel faster. I know that I noticed this as soon as I uploaded the site and I was very impressed. Now I just hope thing will stay this way.
Posted Image

#18 cheddar420

cheddar420

Aristocrat

• Moderators
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:36 PM

My comp is back up and running, posting from it now, and loading time hasn't noticeably changed for me.

#19 SS

SS

• Moderators
  • 4,592 posts
  • D2 Realm:US West

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:46 PM

Seems pretty quick to me.

Everyone seems to be on tonight. How are you all doing?

View PostDan, on Feb 5 2012, 07:12 PM, said:

View PostSS, on Feb 6 2012, 11:15 AM, said:

My second favorite site has been down since yesterday. Or maybe I was banned.
You can get banned from 2girls1cup?

View Postcow-sniperz, on Aug 14 2011, 11:43 AM, said:

I think every argument on this site circles back to jacking-off. GG guys.
Posted Image

#20 Dan

Dan

Monarch (4) -Ethereal-

• Moderators
  • 4,331 posts
  • Gamertag:Giggsidan
  • WoW Server:Stormreaver

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:59 PM

It does seem pretty active! I saw you viewing a bot thread just a few minutes ago. I don't know if you were in the process of deleting it, but I beat you to it! :ninja:

Anyway.. I'm good.. About to go to bed since I have to be up in 5 hours for work.

Oh, and I must admit I haven't really noticed an increase in the loading times! But the loading times were already pretty much instant for me anyway. Google Chrome ftw!
Posted Image
Mostly play Hearthstone and my 3DS lately, friggin' casual!
Add me - Teronis - if you play Europe!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users