Your Basic Mf Orb Sorc Guide

By: Solobattery

Things included in this guide.

1. Introduction to a Mf Orb Sorceress.
2. Stats distribution.
3. Skills distribution.
4. Gear Selection.
4b.Poor ppl section 4 gear.
5. Mf Strategies/General PvM Strategies.
6. Conclusion.

1. Introduction to a Mf Orb Sorceress.

The Orb sorc is a Very effective character in the PvM area of d2. It has the capabilities to kill large crouds of monsters very fast, which is needed to do faster and cleaner Mf runs. This character is not a expensive build with the equipment i suggest but is by far not cheap either. So i suggest at least being middle class to build this sorceress. I will be suggesting a few things that can be replaced for the poorer Drealm members.

2. Stats Distribution.

Str : Enough for gear which ends up reaching around 70-80 depending upon what level you can reach before u do your stats. The higher you go b4 u use stats and gear the less you will need. I use nigma which really helps with this.
Dex : None unless you need for gear. Should not need any with my suggestions.
Vitality : Rest in here. I do use the ES build but im all vita your extras go here.
Energy : Honestly IMO a little here never hurt anyone but this is your choice go all out vita or put around 70 in here base it really helps for this build because i use a infinity merc not insight.

3. Skills Distribution

Pre-Req/One skillers.
I put one into warmth, Teleport, Frost nova,Glacial Spike, Blizzard, Ice blast, and forzen shiver and chilling armor only use chilling armor the def is same for all but the ranged attack retaliation hurts everyone not only the ranged attackers.

Max Frozen Orb.
This is your main attack.

Max Ice Bolt
One and only synergy to Orb.

Max Cold Masteries.

ummmm.... i wonder why

Then heres something thats a easy dilema for orb sorces they run outa synergies and what not for there main attack and theres many things to do. My suggestions

1. You can go my route and Put more into warmth for the Mana regen, Not to repeat myself but i use a inf merc not insight so the regen really helps.
2.. go the luck niner route and max a skill like lighting storm or fireball or something for those cold immunes :) a very gfg idea.
3. Rep has a strategy to use telekinesis for a attack as well and here is a link to his guide showing you explanations and tables. :) cool idea man. Reps Frozen Orb Sorc Guide
3. Put More into ES you may not have poured into mana but the extra skills wont hurt.
:) a very gfg idea.

4. Gear Selection.

Ok i will suggest at the end some things you can replace for you lower end nubs out there but really this is a cheaper build for ladder chars then it is for nl so watch out.:) I highlite my suggestions in yellow because i have alot of info that can get confusing in my gear suggestions. You will also get a cool replacement that i use rather then the usual boots. :)

Helm : I Use Shako with p topaz its cheap has mf, 2 to skills, life..... what more can you ask for. If you are a higher class D2 player you can always get a sorc circlet< Obviously.

Ammy : I use maras, It give 2 to skills and res. Lower class people can always use tals ammy 2 to skills but gay mods IMO

Armor : Must use mage plate nigma, I dont like the cost of spirit shield so nigmas str benis help. Nigma gives the 2 to skills that you need as well as mf because most of my gear doesnt. Alot of people say use vmagi for Fcr, well then u gotta pump str to use Spirit which has 2 to skills and Fcr. So using Vmagi u really are stuck with lidless IMO so go with Enigma so you get the mf skills and str youll get ure FCR from Spirit.

Weapon # 1 : Hoto All im saying

Weapon #2 : Cta for Bo all im saying

Shield #1 : Spirit USE IT If u use vmagi tho go with lidless dont waste str for shield.

Shield #2 : Spirit for BO skills

Belt : Use Arachnids for skills and Fcr < BEST BET EVER

Rings : Here are a few combos. Soj and 5% bk, Soj and Fcr ring, Gk and Fcr ring.

Boots : I kno alot of ppl would say Etreks but honestly You have already put str in for spirit so use marrowalks the give the same run/walk as treks higher str and switches the vit bonus for dex bonus allowing you to use hoto, and giving you the extra 15+ stat points to use in vit instead of dex for hoto matching etreks vit bonus. These boots also replace etreks stanima regen for mana regen and you tele fuck stanima regen. And finaly Marrow gives more def as well making them better. Side notes Marrow gives necro skill mods ignore them. So Really Marrow owns etreks.

Gloves : Use Magefists they equal FCR, i dont like chancies id rather use some mf scs to match the mf of them and keep the 25% fcr bonus from magfists.

Charms :
Anni
S-Torch
Gheeds
With Perfect gheeds and ptopazed shako your at about 196 mf with nigma so use about 5 mf sc with pef 7% to get a good solid 230 around mf which IMO is Very Good number with diminishing returns. Lower gheeds? use more mf scs till your mf is around here.
Either cold gc or life gcs u choose. :)

Merc:
Infinity : Lowers monster res and with a fort does a decent 1.3k dmg
Fort : 300% EXTRA DMG = PWNED and theres some life mods and res mods. plus a high def.
E-Vamp Gaze: Life Leach semi high def.

4b. OMG ITS TEH POOR PPL GEAR SECTION

Helm : shako
Armor : Tals
Weapon : ali babas or occy
Shield : lidless
Belt : gold wrap
boots : war travs
Gloves : Magefists or chanceguards if you want really high mf.

Please make comments or questions about gear i have many reasons for what i choose.

5. Mf strategies/PvM

To start with my build you should reach a mf of 230 mf make sure you have this much. So pay attention to gear build cuz i make suggestions replacing mf items with better skill and fcr items and using mf scs so reread having to high mf 300+ is gay lower then 220 is even gayer.
#1 : BOT
#2 : if your not a botter bot hell andy, pit, countess(if you want tkeys or runes), Meph, Pindle(for more tkeys), and baal has gg drops as well.
#3 : Make sure u open the chest by meph it usually has something of value in it so stay stacked with keys.

MY only PvM tip because if u cant do it ureself give up is obviously spam orb, use chilling armor, and attempt to stay away from poison and obviously phy dmg sorcs arnt made for tanking. oh yeah hold alt when teling or walking to see shit on ground. < i had to add that i have met nubs who didnt kno.

6. Conclusion.

I typed all this in this gay box not word so it may be hard to read if your not me cuz there not your opinions post or pm me with questions or comments. This sorc will rape and no i wont argue the mf # thats to bias and will get me pissed lol please point out typos not and HUGE grammar corrections not little ones. I am a person who is in a hurry while typing and it gets messy fast. Like i said i typed it in this damn box so im tired i will edit grammar snd shit tommorow now i just want comments and the usual.

Edited by solobattery, 13 July 2006 - 02:42 PM.

#2 Scholz

Scholz

Justice

• Members
  • 4,693 posts
  • D2 Realm:US West

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:47 PM

Pretty straight forward guide. I prefer 300 mf myself but whatever floats your boat. Also, I didn't know infinity got rid of the countess' cold immunity. Thanks :D

#3 solo

solo

Aristocrat

• Members
  • 2,284 posts
  • WoW Server:Ner'zhul
  • WoW Faction:Alliance

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:55 PM

np and ty

#4 Gary

Gary

Priest

• Wiki Editors
  • 705 posts
  • BattleTag:GSheets#1930

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:57 PM

Very good. Straight to the point just the way I like it. :D
Posted Image

#5 solo

solo

Aristocrat

• Members
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:58 PM

Thanks alot i think the whole mf part of a orb guide was needed yah reps is grg but i have some diff opinions and his is more for pvp

#6 Gary

Gary

Priest

• Wiki Editors
  • 705 posts
  • BattleTag:GSheets#1930

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:29 PM

I found one minor error. You didn't socket anything into your items like ists for perfect topaz's. (In the Shako To Be More Clear). That's about it. GG- :P
Posted Image

#7 solo

solo

Aristocrat

• Members
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:38 PM

Thanks i fixed

#8 LuckyNiner

LuckyNiner

Monk

• Members
  • 619 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:42 PM

Not a bad job. I may be biased, though, as I've used nothing but an Orb sorc for MF throughout my entire D2 career. Actually, my first character was an Orb sorc..and I still love them.

Couple things:

With the leftover points you have after maxing Ice Bolt, FO and CM, you outlined a few viable routes. I must say that ES is not a good option, in my experience, for PVM, as a few hits will leave you without any mana to teleport away. So go max vita, and try one of these options:

Maxing Thunderstorm and putting rest of points into Lightning Mastery. I used this on my first few Orb sorcs and liked it..the damage can be decent, 1k or more, and it's handy for Cold immunes (if you can't afford/don't use Infinity). It's nice to have the lightning bolt hit something every few seconds.

Maxing an alternate element skill like Fireball or Meteor, to deal with Cold Immunes, again if you don't use Infinity. That would be leaning more towards a FO/CL build, but it's helpful for lower-income sorcs.

Also, with your gear setup, you hit 125 FCR with your FCR ring/other ring setup, which really isn't necessary...105 is all you need. I'd recommend ditching the Magefists for something like Bloodfists or Frostburns.

Also, FHR breakpoints would be nice.

I prefer Treks over Marrowwalks for the mass psn resist, FHR, and Vitality.

Anyway, not a bad guide.
Vote Republican. It's easier than thinking.Posted Image

#9 solo

solo

Aristocrat

• Members
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:19 AM

well ty i completely agree with all good alternates thats what hurts me i forgot about those. edting now....... and the treks i think poison resist is good but if u get the gfg of items ull have max poison anyways. ty tho ima change some alternates

#10 ducko

ducko

Senator

• Members
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 03:48 AM

Well, you asked me for my comments. So here they are.

I like the organisation, though I am not a fan of Orbers for PvM at all. One reason, is the pathetic Damage they deal, together with the gay Cooldown timer, its real frustrating. You might say, one Orb delivers many Shards, each with decent Damage. Add all together, and its a huge pain. But, not all the time to all Shards hit.

IMO, if you are bored, you could use this guide as your MFer. But as I always said, if you are starting out, Blizz Sorc is best to go. Orb is not good at all without decent Gear. You can't do well with it with Poor Gear, whereas you can do well with a Blizz Sorc in PvM even with Crap Gear.

Therefore, only use this guide if you can afford decent Gear. Don't use this guide if you just started Ladder or something like that. It would be a waste of your time then.

Skill points wise, I cannot give suggestions to what other Points to put in. PvM is not really my forte. In PvP, many go the ES Route, or maximise Damage of Ice Blast or Blizzard. While the latter might be good, I wouldn't suggest ES, as I don't think they are good for PvM.

Well, can't think of anything more to say...
Leaving this site for good. All my Guides have been removed, and I do not wish for them to be reposted anywhere else. Reason: This site does not deserve my Guide. Admins (Lefty and DG), good effort and good job on trying to remake the site, but the site still did not improve much. I'm sorry for using this harsh term, but this site imo is a newb site.All the best.Ducko

#11 Loud

Loud

Guildmaster

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:10 AM

An orber with no es is no good. You have the extra points..
Posted ImageWell everyone else does it.Blizz Sorc

I can't believe Kevin's the leader now...Kevin's Asausage

#12 Merchant

Merchant

doG fO ecnegnaeV

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:57 AM

Loud- I think you're mistaken.

I've found, that if you don't go all the way- dropping a couple points into ES will cause you a couple hours of headaches.

If you don't boost MANA to a point- ES will own yourself FOR you. Enemies will be attacking, and you might like the look of the red orb not going down, but you won't be able to get off but 2-3 orbs until the Dark Archer's arrows start dropping your mana from afar.

Then, you're left without a viable offense, using mana or JUV's to tele away, and wait out the remaining casting time of ES.

I think, unless you boost mana, and use massive Warmth- ES isn't worth your time on ANY build.

Great work Kevin! Orb Sorceresses are always my favorite and first characters on a new ladder.

-Chris
Posted Image

View PostTbs191919, on May 15 2007, 06:14 PM, said:

View PostJameson, on May 15 2007, 02:43 PM, said:

no kidding.. and the best part of paintball, is when you get to yell facial shot when expelling your load in someones face :P
Funny, your girlfriend told me not to bother yelling facial shot when expelling my load in her face..

#13 Artemis

Artemis

Aristocrat

• Members
  • 2,616 posts
  • D2 Realm:US East

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:18 AM

Pretty good guide kevin but i dont like some of your gear selection but im just picky, first off an occy would be a better choice 3+ sorc 50 mf and other mods, enigma is another thing i dont like you could just use tals armor, which has a base of 88 mf and if topaz that you get like 120Mf right there better than nigma , if this is a basic mf sorc you cant put stuff like cta and higher end stuff. to me basic is starting out on diablo and ppl wont have that stuff when they first start out. idk just my opinion pretty good guide overall
Posted Image

View PostKevin, on Mar 18 2007, 06:05 PM, said:

View Postsolo, on Mar 19 2007, 07:15 AM, said:

View PostArtemis, on Mar 18 2007, 06:33 AM, said:

..........what can we do about it? geez you complain alot. get off the computer and go look for it.
Calm down my cuban friend..Everything ok? u seem fairly hostile lately. :(
No. Oscar has always been hostile to certain users that like to spam a bunch of random crap, and make dumb posts.

#14 solo

solo

Aristocrat

• Members
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:14 AM

View PostArtemis, on Jul 12 2006, 09:18 AM, said:

Pretty good guide kevin but i dont like some of your gear selection but im just picky, first off an occy would be a better choice 3+ sorc 50 mf and other mods, enigma is another thing i dont like you could just use tals armor, which has a base of 88 mf and if topaz that you get like 120Mf right there better than nigma , if this is a basic mf sorc you cant put stuff like cta and higher end stuff. to me basic is starting out on diablo and ppl wont have that stuff when they first start out. idk just my opinion pretty good guide overall
Definately, I agree with both suggestions. Using those items takes you over the 300 limit i use. I prefer to use a cap there but usually stick around 220 because diminishing returns Owns ure ass mfin. The bonus to skills on occy is on hoto too and occy has that gay tele mod when you get hit. The res and the fcr on hoto own occy up the ass. Enigma has a base mf of about 80 to unless you cant get to level 80 and if you cant do that give up. But enigma owns tals up the ass as well because of the skills trust me 2 to skills in synergies can ad some decent damage enigma also has this thing were you get str needed to use spirit so you can save a good 80+ stats which i prefer to put into mana not vitality because the extra mana doesnt hurt and your already putting a good 400+ at the end of the build. I use cta for life IMO sorcs need life or its what u call a one hit wonder. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

*edit corrected Enigma to Mage plate enigma.

#15 Loud

Loud

Guildmaster

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:34 AM

View PostThaBlkPanda, on Jul 12 2006, 07:57 AM, said:

Loud- I think you're mistaken.

I've found, that if you don't go all the way- dropping a couple points into ES will cause you a couple hours of headaches.

If you don't boost MANA to a point- ES will own yourself FOR you. Enemies will be attacking, and you might like the look of the red orb not going down, but you won't be able to get off but 2-3 orbs until the Dark Archer's arrows start dropping your mana from afar.

Then, you're left without a viable offense, using mana or JUV's to tele away, and wait out the remaining casting time of ES.

I think, unless you boost mana, and use massive Warmth- ES isn't worth your time on ANY build.

Great work Kevin! Orb Sorceresses are always my favorite and first characters on a new ladder.

-Chris

I wasn't suggestioning just dropping points into es, for es to be affective you can't pump life and you need to max tk AND es, you do NOT have to max warmth, a few extra points would help the es yes but maxing it is redundent(spelling?) So basically you didn't understand what I was saying, but on the other hand it is half my fault for not being specific.
Posted ImageWell everyone else does it.Blizz Sorc

I can't believe Kevin's the leader now...Kevin's Asausage

#16 thossr

thossr

Justice

• Members
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:36 AM

Change the yellow to something you can read w/o highlighting -_-
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 hobowithagrenade

hobowithagrenade

Craftmaster

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • D2 Realm:US West Ladder

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:39 AM

Armor : Must use mage plate nigma, I dont like the cost of spirit shield so nigmas str benis help.

Looked like penis when I first saw it...
Posted Image

#18 solo

solo

Aristocrat

• Members
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:12 AM

Try the diablo realm custom it views anything ppl post to change that could make it unviewable by others.

#19 solo

solo

Aristocrat

• Members
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 02:24 PM

Updated spelling*

#20 solo

solo

Aristocrat